Thursday 26 March 2015

Lives, Films and Unacted Parts

You remember when Facebook put up short films reviewing the online-lives of its subscribers? Boring as the films were, I couldn’t stop thinking about the man-hours spent in watching all those films. Soon I found myself thinking of the Last Judgment. I surmised freely and may God forgive me if I am wrong in these surmises.

What I thought was that Heaven will last an eternity, because who knows, the Last Judgement will take forever to carry out. Just imagine, the lives of everyone from Adam onward being played back on a giant screen! God the Judge presiding over the public screening. One life-film at a time. Not one second of the person’s earthly life edited out. There will be context for every action and hopefully explanation for every judgment. Context and commentary… how wonderful!

And I thought in Heaven will I really understand the people who were part of my life. A gallery of faces passed before me and at the head were Papa and Mummy. The two people I’ve spent my life trying to understand.
                                                                             
***

Papa and Mummy were children in the 1940s. Growing up in Christian-dominated neighborhoods in the south, and educated in their mother tongue. In early adulthood they moved to the north where most people spoke another language and practiced another religion. Me? I was the anxious offspring of migrant parents, growing up in shape-shifting Delhi. Trying not to speak with “stammering lips and another tongue.” Unlike my parents, trying too hard to fit in. But like them, existing in a zorb ball, separate from others. Tens of other contextual factors that I know of but don’t fully understand.

Then there is the communication – the inadequacy of its quantity and quality, especially where Papa was concerned. He was a man of few words, even fewer where women were concerned. And he brooked no careless word or gaze. Expressed his disapproval with a fearsome look. I learnt early that he liked obedience and didn’t like a show of disrespect.

But that was him as a parent. What was he like as a child? As a young man. As a person.

***

You know the literary concept of “unacted parts” – the Woolfian strategy of adding detail to the personalities of characters, in one way, by breaking the unities of space, time and action. Or “bubbles” – what the editing tutor at the film school I attended, pointed to. Bubbles are moments in the film, he said, that are at once separate from the narrative and inseparably part of it. The tutor was reviewing a film I had been editing. Nothing New was inspired by a few early memories of Papa. A film that was at once fictional and intensely personal. A projection if you like of what Papa might have been like as a young man and how I would have been altogether like him if I were male.

People’s responses to the film told me where my mental picture of Papa could be correct and where it was likely to be false. The making of Nothing New gave me a handle with which to start a less passive process of trying to understand him – a process that continues today, more than 8 months after his death.

And somewhere along the way I put together a Facebook-like film in my mind. With moments of Papa’s life from years before we met and extending to his last moments if they had played out differently. Made up entirely of unacted parts… They are fodder for my introspective moods.
Here then is, not the life-film that will be played in Heaven, but my short review film for Papa.

Papa as a little kid
Papa is a chubby-faced little boy. He enters the schoolyard where there are other kids his age and older. He is delighted to see them. He calls out – Hey! When did you come here? A smile in his voice. He talks as if he is sat on a throne – his mum’s lap. Factually, I know that he was given away to his childless aunt whose husband it was who got him enrolled at school. This mental picture of Papa’s first days in the schoolyard, where he is too small to be taken any notice of, formed in my mind years ago and I have revisited it often. Gradually, I realized something that was probably as true for Papa as it is for me – loneliness chased us from the start. We delight in human company.

Papa as a born-again believer
Papa is in his early 20s. He stands in the courtyard of a church. It is somewhere in the north as he is wearing a sleeveless sweater. He stands with his feet slightly apart, looking towards a group of learned pastors. He lays a newly-gleaned Biblical truth before them – trying to impress them and hoping too that they say something in response. Something that will calm his inner doubt…. An “I believe Lord, help thou my unbelief” kind of inner mood. Perhaps it is too late to know if Papa used to grapple with moments of doubt. As I do. But I daresay in his case, a journey that started with curiosity ended in stubborn faith. How will mine?

Papa as a city-returned native
Papa dressed in trousers and a white shirt. There is a smart belt around his middle. He and my mother, who as always is dressed in a saree, are going to church. They are a retired couple returning home to a small town where even the men still wear traditional clothes (the mundu.) Especially to church. In the mental picture I have of this unacted part, Papa is smug that he is standing out – at once belonging and not belonging to his surroundings. I know the feeling.

Papa bidding us goodbye
Maybe this is a corrupted memory of how we left for one of the innumerable hospital stays. There’s Papa, moments before his death. Not as it actually happened but as we might have liked it to happen. Mummy and I are with him. Mummy hugs him and I kiss his hands knowing the dreaded moment will soon be upon us. We are all crying. Papa is almost bent over with sorrow. As the last moment approaches, Papa breathes in, straightens and says slowly, “Alright.” I can’t bear to see how he actually leaves us. What was he feeling? No fear of death really, but of the wretched loneliness of the grave, the separation from love and warmth.

                                                                                ***

As it is written, “I will go to him, but he will not return to me”.

And so I wait. Holding on to my curiosity and need really to know my loved ones – Papa – better. I suppose when those life-films are played on the heavenly screen…. Then.

No comments:

Post a Comment